Sunday, November 13, 2011

New Napoleonic Fiction

For those of you who've missed out, I've been seriously working on my creative fiction recently. My first novel, The Faith, was finished this October. Now, I've started up again! I'm writing it for NaNoWriMo, a challenge that pits an author against himself in order to complete 50,000 words in the month of November.

Here's a bit more on that from my author blog, http://michaelseleey.blogspot.com/ .

One of Death's Hussars leaves for the Waterloo Campaign

What might have happened had history taken a slightly different turn in June 1815? What might Europe have been had Napoleon's Empire not fallen at Waterloo?

You're in luck! We're going to find out...

NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month challenges authors to write 50k words within the months of November. Caffeine, limited sleep, and epic fun accompany the month-long marathon. To accomplish the goal and "win," a writer needs to write roughly 1700 words a day, every day for the entire month. I've heard it can be difficult, but I logged 48k words in September, so I think I'm up for it again.

For my November novel (or half-novel really, as it'll likely be about 100k words long and finished in December or early January), I will be examining how Napoleon's 1815 Waterloo campaign might have been different and how L'Empereur might have reacted afterwards.

For more on NaNoWriMo look at http://www.nanowrimo.org

For more on my writing in NaNoWriMo - http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/michael_seeley

The title is tentative, the process is new, but the writing has started! We're off an going on our second novel: an alternative history that sees Waterloo won and Ireland free from British oppression a century early.



After Waterloo:
A Novel
by Michael Seeley

Blucher is crushed. Wellington is no more. Napoleon is back.

A redirected order changes the course of the Waterloo campaign and the entirety of history. Caught in the madness is Captain Aiden Rowe, an Irishman and patriot who fled his homeland after the murder of his parents. Now, with France's enemies retreating, he will return home.

But he won't be going alone. Along with a boon companion, Killian O'Meara, Rowe will bring the armies of France and the cries of freedom to an oppressed isle yearning for justice.

Can Ireland escape the bondage of England? Will the Emperor Napoleon get the peace he longs for? How will Row and O'Meara keep their humanity in the carnage that arises after Waterloo is won?

See my profile at http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/michael_seeley for writing stats and more information on NaNoWriMo!

No comments:

Post a Comment